Thursday, May 26, 2005

Kyle

I got word yesterday that Kyle, a student of mine, died in a car accident that also killed another person whose name I do not know. I can’t begin to understand why God chose to take these two people from us, from their families, from this world.

I’ve lost a grandparent and a father in the last few years and there’s no guessing, no explaining, no understanding why it happens when it happens. The only way I can cope is by remembering how blessed I was to have known, and shared the world with them while they were here.

In Kyle’s case, it’s pretty easy to see how blessed we were to have shared our part of the world with him. As his teacher, he often reminded me why I chose the profession. He often reaffirmed that decision. He was original, spirited, and often found the motivation that many students lack in the weirdest of places. He wasn’t the traditional A student, but he managed to find personal interest in his studies that led to inspired, creative, occasionally controversial views, and that drove him to produce good, original work. He wasn’t motivated by the grade, he was motivated by his own personal interest. That’s something many students have trouble finding and it frustrates them as they try to be good students as much as it frustrates their teachers who try to provide as many opportunities to create that situation as they can.

Kyle tapped the same motivation as a member of our school’s yearbook staff. A couple of summers ago, Kyle showed up to volunteer to sell advertising for the yearbook. He’d just finished his freshman year. Our sales staff numbers had been dwindling and Kyle was surprised to find out he’d have to take a leadership role. The sales drive was not without frustration and disappointment for all involved, but Kyle stepped up, recruited more help, put in the hours, and occasionally made us all laugh when we needed it most. Without his efforts, that yearbook probably would not have been created... or we would have had to charge something like $90 a copy to cover the expense of printing it.

It was this same drive in Kyle that sometimes put him at odds with teachers and classmates. When he believed in something, he explored it, and pushed those around him to explore it with him, especially when they disagreed with him. For a young man just beginning to understand what personal conviction meant, Kyle handled this amazingly well. He might leave you angry with him one day, but he’d always come back and see how you were doing the next. He often surprised me by coming back and explaining how he’d found a way to understand my perspective, a day or two after emphatically, but respectfully, arguing with me. Most adults don’t have the guts to do that, or maybe they just don’t care as much as Kyle did. Many adults even criticize young men like Kyle for having little respect, yet they also criticize today’s youth for not having the conviction that Kyle had. I know he respected his peers and his teachers because he cared enough to question us. He cared enough to push us beyond the easy answers. He cared enough to come back the next day and make sure we were still friends.

Often the source of these “discussions” with Kyle was the unfairness of the world. He was just beginning to tackle these tough questions. Like most teenagers, his initial interest in deeply philosophical queries came as the result of how the unfairness affected him directly, but it never stopped there. On his bad days it might have paused there, but he always readdressed it after cooling down. He was never satisfied with himself, or how he’d left others until he knew they were in a position to pick up such conversations again when they inevitably arose. How he knew at such a young age that these issues would arise again and again amazes me. Maybe he didn’t, but he knew it was better to leave things on good ground than bad. He knew the personal connection was more important than being right. In order to spark the same drive in others, he would occasionally play with fire on the bridge, but he always came back to make sure that bridge wasn’t burned. He always left it better than he found it.

I know my world is better now than it was before Kyle found it. How I will keep it that way is my next challenge. I do not know and I can’t even imagine how Kyle’s family and the Russia community will move on. I wish I could help them. I do know that God has never put a challenge before me that I couldn’t handle. It doesn’t always seem that way at first, but He always steers us in the right direction. Right now, I have serious doubts about my ability to do justice to Kyle’s memory... about how I will live my life differently as a result of Kyle’s positive influence. This doubt is similar to the question of how a just God could take Kyle from us, but God has never failed me in the past even when I know I’ve fallen short.

To the families of both victims of this tragedy: Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. People on the other side of the world that you don’t even know are thinking about you right now. The strength you will find to overcome this inspires and humbles us.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Kyle. You were so lucky to have known him even if only for a short time. My prayers are with you, Kyle's family & friends & the Russia Commuity.

Anonymous said...

Very well put. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Adams -> I am so glad that I was contacted about this write up of yours. You did an amazing job and when I read it I truly thought those words matched perfectly with Kyle ... the Kyle that we all knew. I believe that we are all still questioning God and his choice he made ... but you are exactly right He never fails us and we have to continue to stick by Him. Well I just want to thank you for your wonderful write up on my classmate ... It was truly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless!

Anonymous said...

first of all, thank you mr. adams for posting that. I would just like to add a few things to what you said that i remember about kyle.
First of all, i know that he really helped with the yearbook but he also really hated it. He actually didnt want to go out next year but he thought he had to b/c he was one of very few ppl who actually knew what they were doing. As mr. adams said, he really did care about the ppl around him. Even if he did grumble and complain about it.
He also really hated it when ppl dyed their hair. As he said to me once, "God gave you that hair color and for that reason you shouldnt change it."
Mr adams also stated, in more colorful language, that kyle is opinionated. He never wavered in his opinion on anything, no matter how small. As i have already said, he disagreed with dying hair. I argued with him for quite a while on this issue and each time i presented an argument, he listened politely and then proceded to come up with a reason as to why i was wrong. I dyed my hair soon after that. He never commented on it, although i like to think that it really made him mad.
Kyle also had very strange ideas of what fun was. He was always trying to get me to go on a way run with him. Apparently, you just drove very slowly through the area. you did this until their police started to follow you and then you would speed up very quickly or make them follow you for a while. He was a little vague on the details but it all seemed a little strange to me.
Kyle, as mr. adams also said, always worked hard. I remember when he hurt his leg at the versailles game. His doctor said the only thing that could be done for it was to rest. Kyle continued to play and i dont think he even took a break before beginning track. He didnt want to sit out at all. As i am sure most cross country members remember, kyle once ran in practice until he almost passed out and couldnt breath. Under no circumstances was he going to quit. Eventually they called an ambulence. He was ok but for the rest of the season, he had problems with his arm...sometimes it would tingle or he couldnt feel his hand. However, he refused to quit or even take it a little easy. It just wasnt in him. Gosh it made me so mad when he did things like that!!!! Of course he wouldnt listen to me when i said he should take a break or something.
He also told me once that he wanted his first points in a varsity game to be a dunk. He even said that he was going to tell his coach and everything. I really believe that he would have done it.
As most everyone knows, kyle ate cookies and candy all the time...it is a wonder that he could survive at all. When we would go to walmart, he always bought four bags of twerpz, sour patch kids watermelon style, and maybe some dum dums or cheetos or some other sort of unhealthy food. No matter how hard anyone tried, you just couldnt get that kid to eat anything healthy. The only other food that entered his body was from mc donalds.
That was just kyle.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Adams when I heard about the article that you wrote about Kyle I knew that it would be anything but ordinary but then again Kyle wasn't your average teenager. He was awesome with more heart and love then most adults. Thank You for keeping him in our hearts and on our minds.

Anonymous said...

Mr. adams, you did a great job writing this article!! kyle was a great person and he brought joy to alot of peoples lives. im glad that i got the chance to know kyle. thank you for writing this i will never forget kyle and his doings!! god bless!!

Anonymous said...

This past week I attended my church camp and being a graduated senior we are asked to share our wisdom or just talk to the rest of the campers. I spoke on trusting God and how I have relied on Him for so many things this past year. One of those things was Kyle's passing. It is still so unbelievable for me, even after a month. Once again I was in tears. But I know that God can help me through this. Thank you for your post, Always and forever Kyle will be in our Hearts.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Adams, this was such a wonderful way to describe Kyle he was so very opinionated but your right he always left things on good terms. In the last two years I had gotten to know Kyle extremely well. I would have never dreamed going into my junior year that Kyle just a freshman would become one of my best friends. I got to know Kyle when i joined cross country. He was always there to push me along, whether it was by cheering for me or yelling at me he always got the job done. I've learned so much by being his friend. I learned that sometimes your best friends arent the most likely of people. You never know who people really are until you give them a chance. If i would have went with my first impression of kyle I would probably never have become his friend. But he had such a friendly and outgoing attitude that you couldn't help but enjoy his company. Throughout this year Kyle had listened to all of my problems from fears of graduating to the deaths of my grandmothers. He was always there through it all. Its been approximately six weeks since he died and there isnt an hour that goes by that i dont think about him. I miss him alot but God has a reason for everything and I know that he fufilled his place on Earth because it is clearly evident of what a great impact he has left on us all! Miss ya and love ya Kyle!