Sunday, May 15, 2005

Another Sunday

...And the only good thing I can say about it is that we’re one week closer to going home. I think it was John’s wife who mentioned his “Sunday best” in a comment on the “Busted” post, and that’s kind of funny now cuz the old, unofficial PT gear has become the Sunday uniform. Unlike the new, authorized PT gear of nylon running shorts and polyester shirts, the old stuff is comfy and has pockets so it’s what we all wear. The chief just walked into the office and said “I see you’re all still in your pajamas.” And that’s kind of how it is. By the way, the old stuff is cheap at the AAFES online store. Good quality, low prices. Get it while it’s hot!

Yeah, so uh... Sunday. We sat by the fire again last night. The RPG/mortar attacks seem to have

slowed down (knock on wood), we still can’t fix much ‘cuz we’re not getting much in the way of parts from supply (but I’m keeping busy re-ordering everything for the 4th time,) and nothing has really changed. We joked about the movie Groundhog Day on our last little visit to the area, but it’s come full circle now. In that movie, Bill Murray’s character, Phil Connors, undergoes a series of identity crises. He goes through a dark period, even becoming suicidal, and finally, upon realizing his potential as a human, wakes up and it’s actually a new day.

I hope our remaining time here is long enough to get us through the dark period many of us are in right now. I hope, after being exposed to this, that my brain will function at least at the level it did before I came here. I’m truly worried about what will happen once I’m actually able to accomplish something through my efforts. I don’t know how I’ll be able to handle getting an answer to a simple question without having to explain what I’ve already tried and why I’m so bent on doing it the way it’s supposed to be done. Nor will I know what to do when someone asks me a simple question, and is satisfied with the answer. I’ve grown too used to hearing someone explain why they came to me, why the answer, though accurate, is unacceptable, and then waiting around or asking the question 20 more times until I finally convince them that the answer is the answer and it won’t change simply because they ask me 20 more times... or send someone else in to start that whole process over again. I know I’m forever tainted, and I can handle that. I did this to myself by re-enlisting. But I hope I’m at least able to function in a place where, when I need, say, a spark plug, or a ¼ x 20 bolt, I have a glimmer of hope of actually getting one.

So... that dark period. If we follow the Groundhog Day analogy, then the dark period should start easing its way into some real personal growth. Perhaps this experience is like an intervention, or even basic training, where the victim or student must first hit rock bottom, be broken all the way down, in order to be rebuilt in the proper form. In the movie, things get pretty bleak before they get better. Phil Connors makes some darkly humorous attempts at suicide, including an attempt after kidnapping Punxsutawney Phil and trying to take the furry forecaster with him. But the character’s desperation finally gives way to his learning to play piano, performing aptly-timed first aid techniques, and eventually even getting the girl. He even develops some great techniques for dealing with a pesky insurance salesman he can’t remember from high school. Maybe we’ll all come out of this as evolved as Murray’s character. Maybe this is just one step closer to the self-actualization/transendence at the top of Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.

Yeah, that’s it... so here I am at round 37 of convincing myself this is a good thing. I will make it a good thing. When you can learn something from a situation, you are better for it. That which does not kill us makes us stronger... blah blah blah.

Luth

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to my positive, optomitic husband? You sound like a bitter old man!

Anonymous said...

I was aware of this when I stepped into the voting booth. I can't believe that 53% of the voting public voted for numb nuts. And this is one time I'm REALLY glad this country has a problem with voter turnout. I mean I'm thrilled that not ALL of the country believes in Bush. I really thought in November that I was surrounded by "Bushies". But since not all Americans voted, I'm relieved. Then again, look at all the numb nuts that re elected Bob Taft. It's just like where I work, if you F up, you move up. Hey, I just got the PA appraisal done this past weekend. Mower would not run. I'll work on it later. Didn't hang out to fix it, but the grass was not too long anyway. I'll get back over in the next couple weeks for that. Hey, as long as there is a Bush in Washington, you need to retire. They still got Jeb in Fla. Be a school teacher and get the hell out of there. Peace !!! Go Buckeyes !!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Luther
I just did a week of annual training home station (that was not intended to make you jealous) and was reminded of what it was like to be a technician. Not too many of us had the courage, conviction and dream to leave that program and do something worthwhile. This weekend I ate lunch with two full-timers whom were both giving me love (metaphorically) for having the guts to leave - because they both so badly hope to do the same. We ran over the list of reformed techies - it did not take long. Those golden handcuffs . . . But of course your name came up. Hey, I know a guy who was a technician at the 200th and gave it all up to become a teacher too. They oohed and aaahed as they imagined what kind of man would leave the security and mind boggling mediocrity of the "program" to go teach English to a bunch of tractor drivers in the other Ohio. When I told them you were married one of them began to cry and muttered something about the perfect man. So that is my point - you deserve props for taking that less traveled road. You are doing something so much more important. I hope you dwell on that from time to time as you sit around the fire. I do.
Jag

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thanks jag. Of course it was my wife's income that allowed me to be so "courageous." This little perspective-shifting vacation has convinced us both it's time to buy her out of corporate slavery as well... but that's a new post in itself.

Anonymous said...

RE: "bitter old man" - It's funny how people choose to see what they want in things. What could be more positive and optimistic than the hope of achieving self-actualization? This is the clinical equivalent of seeing God... heaven on Earth. How could one be more faithful than to believe one might achieve one's full human potential?

Anonymous said...

Here's potential damnit!!!!!! Got the appraisal done in PA and Mom's backyard is looking suweeeeet !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, was Toby Keith wearing a Red Horse hat?????

Anonymous said...

Toby Kieth was wearing a Red Horse hat! Go Red Horse!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dick, thanks for the kind words. I never thought I'd think of Kuwait as "the good old days" but a little perspective goes a long way. It was cool to hear from you and encouraging to hear of life after the guard. I'll miss most of the people and many of the places, but it's getting harder and harder to see much Air Guard in my future.
To Anonymous and Chaos - see comments under "Check out the hat" about using my blog as your personal political forum! Get off of my cloud!
This thing has turned into a lot of fun!