Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Hot Sands

I've been here for three days now and I guess it's not as horrible as I originally thought. That first impression was tainted by a couple of factors:
1) it's still an Arab desert - the same one I remember from '02, damn that's hot!
b) we got here after midnight after 24 hours of "travelling" that consisted of a total of about 2 hours of actual flying time and 22 hours of waiting
III) the very next night another group arrived at about the same time being just as noisy as we probably were - here's an idea, why not put everyone who comes in together in the same tent?!
4) it's still an Arab desert
5) I'm not home
6) I have longer here than I'd like still
G) I miss my family still and there doesn't seem to be any real reason why I'm not moving closer to them
8) did I mention it's an Arab desert?
Anyway, now that I've been able to get to sleep at a reasonable hour, and stay asleep for more than an hour or two, things are looking a little better. The food's not bad and you get a day's worth of sun exposure just walking to get it, so I'll finally get a little bit of a tan! There are some amenities to help pass the time like this CyberCafe I'm typing in, and my days are definitely counting down to something meaningful this time. However, my iMac seems to have lost its monitor... anyone out there know any hotboot/corrective actions at startup for an iMac G3. I didn't bring my manual, and I fear someone used my briefcase as a step in the C130 on the way here, crushing the monitor... sometimes the monitor comes on long enough to show me the little countdown while booting, other times I get the little "on" chime, but no monitor at all. Any help? Anyone? I'll sure miss that little laptop if I can't get her back to life. All this time to watch movies, finish the greatest novel ever written, or dowload pictures to post here and no computer. Just my luck. It worked the day before the C130, then no longer when we got here. Ah well. I'm just sad now.
Oh, the USO put up a nice place here to just hang out out of the sun. They show movies on big screen tvs, have coffee, juice and cookies, games, a couple of computers, and a couple of phones. It's like a little oasis. If they hit you up for contributions, send 'em a couple of bucks.
All right. Nothing new to report from here. I'll probably check in one more time before I head out, but if not, I'll type at ya from the states.
Thanks for reading.
Luth

1 comment:

Bill said...

Hey Luth, sounds like a loose connection at the motherboard and the LCD or a bad/frayed hinge wire. It doesn't sound like the logic board problem which some folks have had with certain iBooks.And it doesn't sound like the backlight is burned out. But both of those last two are possible.

You might try taking it apart...it's not too intimidating. This site has some good instructions and pictures: http://repair4laptop.org/disassembly_apple.html

this site has a good complete tear-down picture set: http://homepage.mac.com/sysop/PhotoAlbum7.html

I've torn into my iBook and Leslie's for various reasons. It's not too bad, really. Just make sure you have a nice wide space (like a table) and a recessed area of some sort (or a cup)to lay out any parts you take out.

-Bill