Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Left handed

Laurie gets her fair share of teasing for being left handed. I can't go too hard on her since my dad was and my daughter is left handed. My roommate is left handed too. That's a pretty impressive list, or rather, the people on it are pretty impressive to me anyway and it's my 'blog so get off it. But that list doesn't even begin to cover the rest of the people I know who are left handed. So I really shouldn't pick on Laurie. Than again, some of the people I know who are left handed are complete idiots. So there you go.

The reason for mentioning this is because we discovered a new form of entertainment this past weekend while gearing up for our Memorial Day festivities here at [undisclosed location]. One of the ways we tease Laurie is by reminding her that lefties, in our righty society, die on average 5 years earlier than righties. After discovering our new hobby, I can see why.

It started innocently enough Saturday evening. Somehow we all congregated outside of Greg and Bob's room on the end of Motel 6. No, wait... it was because our power went out! Anyway, their neighbors are also part of the VM crew so there was quite a gathering. We were all just sitting around solving the world's problems when Greg brought out a wrist rocket someone sent him from home and we all took turns trying to shoot the mirror off of a truck parked across the road.

Don't worry, we're all horrible shots and the mirror is still perfectly intact. Someone commented that we might as well put the slingshot away and throw rocks left handed at the truck. While John, my lefty roommate asked just what the hell someone meant by that, someone else got up and tried it. I can't remember who it was, but it was so funny to watch that pretty soon, three more of us joined in. I think it was Greg, Bob and I who joined JLo. We'd captured the attention of the other 5 or 10 guys sitting around and they were laughing at us almost as hard as we were laughing. John soon joined in only he had to throw right handed. Pretty soon about 20 guys were throwing rocks with their opposite hands.

We'd given up on the truck since it was out of our range and instead aimed for an abandoned building. The worst of us couldn't even make it across the road, 'though as the techniques improved, so did both the aim and the range. Some of our better athletes, like Shamoken Mike, who clobbered his opponent in the Friday Night Fights last Sunday by the way... TKO in the second round! were some of the worst. His manager, Joe Mango, also rather athletic, must have been exaggerating his incompetence. He took the prize.

All told, this activity lasted nearly an hour. I've never seen anything so idiotic and entertaining with so little preparation and so little cost pop up and take over so quickly. I laughed so hard my head hurt. The next morning my ribs hurt, though my left arm still feels pretty good.

Later,
Luth

4 comments:

Bill said...

What about that enlightened discourse we once had in the fishbowl about what, in fact, constituted "toast." Bread, no problem. Bagels? controversial. Marshmallows? downright subversive!

Anonymous said...

The toast discussion (can anything that comes out of a toaster be called toast?) definitely ranks right up there, but it lacked the physical aspect, and therefore the physical comedy of the wrong handed rock throwing. Funny you should mention the "toast sessions" as we were just talking about them.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a funny sight to see to me...Glad all of you could have some laughs. I almost always notice a lefty as soon as they start to write. Maybe cause dad was left handed but he never twisted his hand around to write like some of them do.

Anonymous said...

I feel I must comment on this as I am one of the "evil" ones. Being left handed was not a decision that I remember making. It has it's benifits, and also it's shortcomings. Scissors were a pain when I was younger but I quickly caught on to the handles molded for your right hand. Now they make them for either hand. No wonder kids are so soft today.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I think it has helped me to adapt to varying situations. Which has come in handy lately as I have had to adapt to the Army way of thinking. If being left handed cuts five years off your life, the Army way of thinking must take off ten or more. Peace, I'm otta here!