Monday, June 27, 2005

Just a game... wrapped in a game inside a game.

Poor (mis)use of a Churchill quote? Perhaps, just keep reading...

I've played two games of NHL Hitz on Nintendo Game Cube since I've been here. These are, quite possibly, the first whole video games I've played since my brother and I got an Atari for Christmas in the 70's. I'm serious... I've shot a couple of people while waiting for friends to go out and I've jumped a personal watercraft over a freighter while waiting for my kids to get done with swimming lessons at the Y, but other than those 30 second glimpses, I don't play video games.

I got beat, by the way... I was the '03 Red Wings and I got beat by the Bluejackets (Todd) both times although I did manage to score a combined three goals... 1 in the first game and 2 in the second, so I'm showing improvement, which is to say, my thumbs are getting more developed. So I got that going for me.

Soooo... this caught my attention more than it usually would have while I was doing my weekly blog rounds this morning, I ran across this article about virtual/real baseball on HaveYouMetTony... a ranting sports fan after my own heart. You can get to his site through Grant's (see link to your right) or you can just go to haveyoumettony.com. Check out this article...

www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/11944265.htm

Un-frickin-believable... an ingenius marketing idea, but seriously... would you play out this game using the first two innings worth of virtual stats? Minor League ball is a blast, precisely because they're not above doing stuff like this, but this... this... I just don't know. Then again, it's just a game. I'll leave it to you to figure out which "just a game" I'm talking about. I'm not even sure at this point.

Go Dayton Dragons!

Luth, out.

No comments: