Sunday, February 03, 2013

It's about our culture, not our laws


There’s a Sylvester Stallone movie coming out soon titled BULLET TO THE HEAD.  I haven’t seen it, but the trailers indicate it’s like every other action movie out there…glorified violence and revenge.  I don’t for one minute suspect that the niche market such movies serve actually plays any kind of direct connection to gun violence.  I don’t think such movies should be banned.  Hell, I might even like it, but the entire notion of a title like that getting green-lighted as a full budget endeavor featuring a major star is a perfect indicator of just how different our culture is from any other country with legal guns.

BULLET TO THE HEAD is based on a graphic novel, so its treatment of violence is a comic book’s treatment of violence – that of a two-dimensional, oversimplified world that only a child or someone whose capacities are severely limited would ever confuse with the real world.  One other fun fact is that the original graphic novel on which it is based is French!  (and everyone in the NRA knows the French are sissies!)

What’s any of this got to do with the NRA or gun laws?  Well, I’ve been thinking lately… for the first time in my life I might actually agree with something NRA President, Wayne LaPierre, said.  At least in part.

I don’t think it’s about our gun laws; it’s about our gun culture.

I’ve only recently arrived at this new conclusion and the realization that it means I agree with Mr. LaPierre. I’ve had guns in my household all my life, but I’ve never once been tempted to join the NRA.  During the years in which this opinion was formed, Charlton Heston represented that organization.  As I watched him slowly prove through frequent public tirades that he’d lost sight of the distinction between playing Moses in a movie and actually being Moses, I also saw signs that many of his followers were under similar delusions.  I was disheartened and embarrassed at my fellow gun owners for their inability to rationally discuss gun laws.  Even among close friends, and after taking pains to keep partisan politics out of the private discussions, folks I knew and trusted seemed to have drunk the Kool-Aid and refused to even consider that this nation might be able to come up with better gun laws than we have.  Period.  Not necessarily stricter, not necessarily banning any particular model or type, just better laws. I believe my countrymen are bright enough to take this on.  Many of my fellow gun owners, and the public sentiment of the NRA indicate otherwise.

For most of my life, the public face of the NRA seemed dead set against even having that conversation. Under President Heston, they proved themselves to be something far more frightening than an assault rifle. They helped create a culture of fear.  They established themselves as a giant, rich, and therefore powerful lobby 100% committed to NOT having a discussion. Nothing pushes a paranoid public toward their guns more than fear and a sense of powerlessness.  This was a brilliant strategy for the NRA. It’s a brilliant strategy for niche movies like the Charles Bronson franchises of the 80s, and just about every Sylvester Stallone movie.  It’s had terrible results on our nation and our political process.  There is little wiggle room in that kind of stance.  If you won’t discuss our disagreement, you are, by definition irrational, and you offer no contribution to a potential solution.  You ARE part of the problem.  In its own way, my own acquiescence to this stereotype (of the NRA and its members) distracted me from actually looking at the issue.  I was content to know (and I still KNOW this) that anyone not willing to talk is not rational, not worth talking to, and so went the NRA.

Sure, I knew the NRA sponsored and promoted safe gun handling and practices.  Though I’d had a hunting license long before the state of Ohio required completion of a hunter safety course to get one, I took the NRA course anyway and found it very well done.  But no good deed goes unpunished, and where your public face is clearly as insane as your refusal to talk, I had no use for such an organization outside of that classroom.  In fact, I simply couldn’t connect anything about the NRA with my experience in that classroom.  The class was good, sound, logical.  It didn’t in any way match with the NRA I‘d come to know.  Just like many of my smart, educated, logical friends who owned guns…I couldn’t connect what I knew about them in just about any other circumstance with how stupid they acted at the mere mention of the words “gun control.”  Suddenly they lost all critical thinking skills, listening skills, the ability to even have a conversation.  So I’m hoping this revelation of mine represents some kind of meeting at the crossroads.  That we’re finally ready to have this conversation.

That may not sound like I’ve reached any new conclusions, and as I sit back and think about it, maybe I haven’t.  Maybe I’ve agreed all along that the law doesn’t much matter. Gun laws really do only affect law abiding citizens.  But if that’s the case, then why does the NRA so fear any new or revised gun law?  It’s NEVER even been hinted at during my lifetime that anyone, even the most liberal presidential hopeful would EVER try to outlaw guns.  EVER.  Except by the NRA, which means their entire argument is fully encased in logical fallacy – the slippery slope.  And if you think the now expired definition of “assault rifle” is a tad ridiculous, like I do, then why won’t you help craft a better one instead of refusing to talk at all?

There I go again, getting distracted by the opposition’s weakness to the point that I’m blind or deaf to the rare, few valid points they make.  It’s not about the law; it’s about the culture.

On that note Wayne LaPierre and I completely agree. If only life were oversimplified and 2-dimensional enough to leave it at that. If only life were just a movie based on a French comic book. OR, if only we could work together and figure out a better way forward. Remember how cool smoking used to be?  Had we, as a nation tried to simply outlaw it, we NEVER would have reduced the health problems we have by reducing the number of smokers in our population. We’d still be arguing about it today.  We’d have polarized groups of tobacco manufacturers and consumers on one side and tree hugging health nuts (and some consumers too) on the other, even though the extremes of those groups only represent a tiny fraction of society.   Had we tried to ban a certain type of cigarette, such an effort would have failed from the start, and that tiny fraction would have held our nation hostage and prevented any progress. The tobacco shift was a cultural shift, not a legal shift.  Wayne and I would have been simpatico throughout it up to a point.  However, in order for that cultural shift to gain enough momentum to work, some laws had to change too. In order for our society to be able to weigh the importance of individual freedoms, the rights of industry, and the associated public costs, we had to have a conversation and leave laws on the table. Even if they squeeze out a few individual freedoms, or threaten some industry profits  That’s how law works in a country like ours. People (and corporations are people now) share individual sacrifice for the greater good.  But it can't happen if major players simply refuse to talk.

So we’re gonna have to talk about laws in order to talk about creating a similar shift in our values when it comes to guns.  Poll after poll tells us the NRA is just plain wrong when it comes to the public sentiment regarding gun regulation – the vast majority of Americans really do favor sensible gun law.  Too bad we haven’t been able to come up with any.  Too bad the NRA has made it its mission to prevent that very conversation.  At some point, even fence-riding NRA members are going to decide that one too many malls, movie theaters, or schools have been shot up.  At some point, things will become so extreme that the decision will get forced, and so it won’t be as a good a decision as our nation could actually make.

At some point, our gun laws will change and so will the NRA. Will it be forced, and will we take what we get, or will we participate responsibly in the planning for it?

Luth
Out

2 comments:

SP said...

BULLET TO THE HEAD was hilarious!!

Luth said...

I'll watch it next year at man camp. It's not even our culture as most believe. Turns out the top selling video games are sports, dancing, and Mario, and violence in movies has actually gone down steadily since the Deathwish/Dirty Hairy days... so now what?
Perhaps it's time to teach people to use guns safely. Legalize (and tax) all drugs - removing the common denominator of gang and black market violence. And make ME president!