Monday, May 07, 2007

Hi Kendra

At guard duty this weekend, I was informed that a friend's wife informed him that I got a new job. She'd read it here in this very forum. (thanks for reading, Kendra) So I figured I'd better update those of you keeping score. I got another new job.

What's really fun about the whole thing is, while I was telling my wife how fun my semi-old job was, what with the no homework, no grad classes, no plans to write, about 3% of the stress and all for about the same money, she'd say, "yeah, but you're still going to apply for teaching jobs, right?"

In the short run I thought Hell No! Not for a while anyway. It was a futile effort anyway. Besides, why would anyone in their right mind go back to that punishment for that money. But in the long run, I suspected I would if only because it was where my training and experience led me. (that sense of obligation and pride in the service I provided faded much more quickly than I would have guessed - apparently the zen thing about not "being" your job works in many ways)

So where was I? Oh yeah, another job. It's one that came about largely because of my education and experience, but it's with a federal agency instead of a school district. The federal agency, oddly enough, felt that my education and experience were worth about twice what public schools thought. My future co-workers interviewed me and they and the description of their mission got me even more excited about this opportunity. Not only will the work be challenging, suited to my strengths, but it will also fill the public service hole I know is developing as I ponder retiring from the Air National Guard. At this job, I can do the public service and make a living helping serve fellow veterans all while I'm at work. I'll no longer have to give up weekends to fill that requirement!

After the interview I convinced myself it was all too good to be true and that the rejection letter would soon follow. I'd been through this before. I told myself the worst case scenario would be that I continue to enjoy my current job, friendly co-workers, and little money. Then I'd eventually head back to grad school for my principal license and wander back into a school somewhere where I could then weasel my way back into a classroom. I could handle it. I'd been doing it for years. Then they called back in two days to offer me the spot.

My first week as a mechanic at the begining of April was like a re-birth. Rather than dread what lay waiting for me, I was excited about going to work on Monday mornings for the first time in about 10 years. I truly felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I enjoyed helping out at my daughter's soccer practice rather than worrying about the work I had waiting for me when we got home at 8. I tackled more of the Spring cleaning and yard work even after doing physical work all day than I've had the energy for in a long time. It was great even if I knew it wouldn't satisfy me forever. Then they called back to offer me the spot. I've been floating ever since. April was great. May is looking even better.

My wife doesn't ask if I'll apply for teaching jobs anymore.

In addition to this happy news, we closed on the old house and got the check in the mail. I sold my old mower on ebay and got the check in the mail. My buddy Bob found a tractor to replace the mower for a lot less than I was prepared to spend on a new one. My oldest daughter's soccer team remains undefeated and the youngest has scored her second goal this season (after six scoreless SEASONS!) And even my wife seems a little more cheerful.

For a while I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Then I remembered that sort of attitude can be a self fulfilling prophecy, and that perhaps the last ten years had been the other shoe. It was time for this one.

So I start the new job around Memorial Day. That'll give me some time to make my current co-workers, whom I will truly miss, hate me so the goodbye won't be so difficult. If anyone out there is looking for a job as a mechanic/fabricator/installer in a very friendly, laid back, teamwork environment for very decent pay (in that field), let me know. It's really a great place to work in a rapidly expanding but thoroughly established business. In fact, I turned down a comparable position with the FBI (another government agency) because I liked it there so much. The pay and bennies were actually pretty close.

OK, I must get some sleep tonight. I've been so energized for the past month that I've kind of been avoiding sleep, but I know that will catch up with me soon.

Tell the folks I said hello. I'll type at ya'll later.

Luth.

No comments: