Thursday, January 12, 2006

Cool article about "Christianity" in America

Luth's NOTE: The "links" in this post don't work... i.e. they're not links at all but simply text versions of the URL where I found the article. I've added a real link to the CheckOutMahLinks section just to the right of what you're reading now. I hope those work!


I've often pondered the academic question of how capitalism fits in with godless individualism much better than communism, and how communism is much more Christian. What?! It's true... in their purest forms. Of course, as long as humans are involved neither will ever exist in anything close to a pure form thus our system is about the best the world can hope for. And yes, I know capitalism is an economic system and communism is more of a political form so the comparison isn't perfect. And NO, I'm not advocating communism. I shouldn't need to say so but I know my friends. Anyway, forget the introductory explanation... here's the new post:

This article explains, more thoroughly and extensively than I probably would ever take the time to explain, one of my biggest concerns with American culture and its political fallout these days. It's long, so I'm only posting the link and a few highlights. I'll start with the first few paragraphs just to give you the gist, then some of what I think are the most frightening points/quotable quotes. (and before you start, Ray, yes, it applies to both "sides" that you think about whenever I post something of this nature.) But there is only one side that I'm concerned with: Americans.

Here's the link: http://www.harpers.org/ExcerptTheChristianParadox.htmla

And here's a chopped up intro:

Only 40 percent of Americans can name more than four of the Ten Commandments,
and a scant half can cite any of the four authors of the Gospels. Twelve percent believe Joan of Arc was Noah’s wife. This failure to recall the specifics of our Christian heritage may be further evidence of our nation’s educational decline, but it probably doesn’t matter all that much in spiritual or political terms. Here is a statistic that does matter: Three quarters of Americans believe the Bible teaches that, “God helps those who help themselves.” That is, three out of four Americans believe that this uber-American idea, a notion at the core of our current individualist politics and culture, which was in fact uttered by Ben Franklin, actually appears in Holy Scripture. The thing is, not only is Franklin’s wisdom not biblical; it’s counter-biblical. Few ideas could be further from the gospel message, with its radical summons to love of neighbor.

Asking Christians what Christ taught isn’t a trick. When we say we are a Christian nation—and, overwhelmingly, we do—it means something. People who go to church absorb lessons there and make real decisions based on those lessons; increasingly, these lessons inform their politics. (One poll found that 11 percent of U.S. churchgoers were urged by their clergy to vote in a particular way in the 2004 election, up from 6 percent in 2000.)

And therein is the paradox. America is simultaneously the most professedly Christian of the developed nations and the least Christian in its behavior. That paradox—[...]—illuminates the hollow at the core of our boastful, careening culture.



So you get the idea, right... the issue is, as the article states, 85% of Americans call themselves Christians (the article offers up Israel for comparison... only 77% claim to be Jews), but does the most "homogenous, rich country" in world practice what it proclaims to preach?

Obviously not and the article is full of examples of both how we do it and why it's dangerous. (By the way, that middle paragraph of the intro reminds me of Rush Limbaugh saying, "WORDS HAVE MEANINGS.") The article boasts stats too, but the examples are so obvious to anyone with eyes and ears that the stats aren't all that necessary. My favorite quote... but one that I know isn't nearly as powerful out of the seriously developed context of the article is:



But straight is the path and narrow is the way. The gospel is too radical for any culture larger than the Amish to ever come close to realizing; in demanding a departure from selfishness it conflicts with all our current desires. Even the first time around, judging by the reaction, the Gospels were pretty unwelcome news to an awful lot of people. There is not going to be a modern-day return to the church of the early believers, holding all things in common—that’s not what I’m talking about. Taking seriously the actual message of Jesus, though, should serve at least to moderate the greed and violence that mark this culture. It’s hard to imagine a con much more audacious than making Christ the front man for a program of tax cuts for the rich or war in Iraq. If some modest part of the 85 percent of us who are Christians woke up to that fact, then the world might change.


Yeah, yeah I know, but the rest of it isn't even really about politics... you just can't break the obvious connection. And the best part is, McKibben is also a self-proclaimed Christian, youth group participant, Sunday School teacher, the works. Granted, he came to his grown-up beliefs in a way the Religious Right wouldn't tolerate: he's an environmental writer who believes the Book of Job is the "first nature writing" and Noah is "the first Green" but I digress. My point is, he's not dogging religion, just the modern usurpation of its power without the adherence, or even the acknowledgement of its message. I've written before about being careful to only take general ideas from the Bible, and I'm not swaying from that path. While I have some personal questions about Jesus, His overall idea is pretty clear through both His actions and His words.

Anyhoo, the article's a great read and worth the time. I haven't even touched the fact that the "godless Dutch" and many of their godless neighbors beat us in most of the "Jesus-like" qualities we measure. (Note, I won't even call them "Christian" qualities anymore!) Just one more quote:


But remember the overwhelming connection between America and Christianity; what Jesus meant is the most deeply potent political, cultural, social question. To
ignore it, or leave it to the bullies and the salesmen of the televangelist sects, means to walk away from a central battle over American identity. At the moment, the idea of Jesus has been hijacked by people with a series of causes that do not reflect his teachings.

And yes, those highjackers can be found on both sides of the aisle. Here's that link one more time... it's really a great article. I really want you to read it for yourself. I don't do this very often (seriously endorse other stuff). What struck me about it is the observable evidence on which it is based, its lack of a clear political agenda (any political endorsement you read is the product of your own imagination... or the facts, HA!) and its eloquence in taking the words out of my mouth. So read it for yourself, or don't bother commenting on it.

That's how I roll...
Luth

Here's the link again: http://www.harpers.org/ExcerptTheChristianParadox.htmla

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK Luth, you knew you'd get me to comment on this one. I just gave it a cursory reading and wanted to make some quick comments tonight.

I had to laugh at the beginning, over the years I have 'harassed' my mother by telling her that communism is taught in the Bible saying much the same you did above.

You have made some interesting comments, and though I may not agree with all your conclusions, you have hit a few nails on the head.

BTW, more and more I hesitate to put myself in a box called conservative. I try to take a biblical worldview and that can cross the lines. That is a primary reason I like to remind you that both sides of the aisle can be guilty of transgression. Besides, I'm kind of enjoying playing the role of a right wing troll.

More to follow, it's getting late and I have to get up early to perform my job trying to devise new ways to irritate employees.

Anonymous said...

Seems the link no longer works.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I meant to add a note saying "they're not actually links" after I'd discovered that to be true... you'll have to cut and paste if you can even do that. For some reason, I'm having trouble editing in html. I'll add the link in the CheckOutMahLinks section. It usually works there.
I'm with ya on the both sides of the aisle. I've given up on that whole issue. I only pick on the side in power now because they're in power, but this particular post was for everyone on all sides.

Anonymous said...

I tried cutting and pasting, took me to Harper's and said the article is not found. Tried the search and still not found. I did read about this article on another blog a while ago, so I know it's valid.