Monday, September 12, 2005

Grammar Rules!

Anyone hear anything about this book, EATS, SHOOTS AND LEAVES by Lynne Truss? (I guess it's pretty obvious somone has!) Our school librarian left a copy in my mailbox at school. Only later did I discover she'd actually signed it out in my name. I guess that's something the Patriot Act allows her to do without my consent! Anyhoo, according to the jacket, it actually made the best seller list and has enjoyed successful sales beyond anyone's dreams. The author's own mother, when first told about the book, suggested adding "For the Select Few" to the cover. The author, who knew her audience would be limited, says she was hurt by this, but still claims to be surprised by the book's success.

I'm not surprised. I've only read the Publisher's note, the jacket notes, the Foreword by Frank McCourt and the Preface by the author, but I've already achieved my monthly dose of dry wit as well as beefed up my rapidly waning knowledge of punctuation rules. Yep, I said punctuation rules and I'm an English teacher. Let me say that in another way - yep, it's a book about punctuation and it was on the best seller list!

Again, I'm not surprised. There are people out there who still have standards. Contrary to the downward spiral of personal responsibility inspired by our current leadership, there are people who appreciate achievement. We're not perfectionists, we just appreciate the attempt. Now, back to the English teacher thing... I teach English, which encompasses all manner of communication skills including, nay, featuring, reading and writing. At the high school level, this includes, nay, is based primarily on, having kids think critically, evaluate and formulate their own conclusions about what they read, develop those thoughts, and commit them to writing in a semi-intelligent manner. It doesn't matter to me, and shouldn't matter to anyone else that many of these kids can do this much better than most adults. What does matter is that they, some day, see this exercise in the basic human functions as important enough to remember and valuable enough to continue practicing.

The success of Truss's book gives me hope that some people, maybe even more than would actually go out and fork over cash (or be seen doing it) for a book about punctuation, do find these basic, core skills valuable.

These days, grammar is rarely even mentioned in the core curriculum/state standards/course of study/whatever you want to call it anymore. Even when it was an integral part of language instruction, most scoffed at it as something only English teachers ever knew or used. But with the decline of test scores, the failures in communication on a global scale, and what many feel is the general and rapidly accelerating decline of the human race, these "courtesies" suddenly seem to have a purpose again. Clear, professional communication suddenly has value again... did it ever really not? Grammar rules are and always were the basics, like spelling and even forming letters. It's not something one teacher is ever responsible for. It's just a given. YOU are just supposed to know like you know how to write your name and social security number. Whenever you ask the English major in the next cubicle how to spell something, remember that you too had the opportunity to learn how to spell and use a dictionary long before you had to declare a major. Likewise with the grammar book. You were introduced to the material at some point in your life. You either decided it was worth learning or you didn't. For many, who, as they get older, suddenly realize how much smarter their teachers were, this book is a chance at redemption wrapped up in an entertaining package. Granted, knowledge shouldn't have to be entertaining, but it sure doesn't hurt.

For me though, it's just plain entertaining. The fact that reading it makes me better at my job is just a bonus. I didn't really NEED any further grammar instruction! (yes that was an invitation for corrections)

Speaking of the need for further instruction and the Patriot Act, Sept 16 is officially "Constitution and Citizenship Day." So we'll burn another day of instruction to do Constitution and Citizenship related activities. Since I'm an English teacher, I intend to tie literary technique into the equation by debating the irony of mandatory Constitution day being imposed upon us by the same people who watered down our protection from illegal search and seizure via the Patriot Act. Should be a fun day! I still think, with all this emphasis on citizenship (which I really am all for) that we should be able to do away with the Miranda warning. Everyone in this country is provided a free education that includes government, history, and the Constitution. If you chose to ignore what your rights are, that's on you, not the cop who busts you! Same rules apply to grammar!

u herd

No comments: