Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes we can

I wonder if the way I felt last night and this morning is what people felt when Kennedy was elected. I've never been as excited, and a little scared, over a presidential election in my life.

I remain amazed that people whose parents were born into slavery were able to vote for America's first black president. I was alive to see that. I participated in that. I am proud of my country today... proud in spite of the vitriol Rush Limbaugh is already spewing about the 50 million voters who didn't vote Obama. Rush needed to pay a little more attention to Senator McCain's speech last night.

The fear I feel is the same kind of fear when I take on something new at work... something I'm not sure I can do. It's that fear that makes we want to try it. Without that fear once in a while, I'd be looking for another job. That fear is what gets me out of bed in the morning. The work part is just beginning and I hope that we are ready for it.

For some the hardest part will be throwing away the old model - this is not to say that everything W has done is wrong. He actually got some things right in the second term, quietly, without ever admitting they were wrong in the first term, but what I mean is the model that says government is meant to be tolerated rather than is supposed to serve. Perhaps that's why the line about "government that governs least governs best" is so popular. I don't disagree, necessarily, but if government was really helpful (say, for instance, like VHA!) wouldn't we want it to do more? Anyway, that old model... the fear mongering, the divisive party sniping, has got to go if we're ever to solve the large and complex problems facing us. I'm not saying Obama can lead us through this any better than any other candidate... well, OK, maybe better than Palin, but rather, the enthusiasm, the turnout, the depth of involvement in our political system that he inspired in so many people CAN bring about change that we never imagined possible. We've got to start believing that.

If all we expect from our government is that it doesn't interfere too much with our lives and it doesn't screw up too much, then why would we be surprised if that's all we ever get from our government. I truly feel that Obama's history-making win is a sign that we're ready to expect more... that we believe something better can and should come from government. I believe it means we've decided it's time our government worked in a way that makes us actually want more of it.

I admit I'm not a history buff, but I don't ever remember hearing of a presidential candidate who energized people the way Obama and his campaign did. He is often criticized for having never lead anything bigger than a senate staff or the Harvard Law Review. Not that those aren't impressive credentials, but they pale by comparison to the campaign he pulled off. The money he raise, largely in small contributions, the numbers he motivated to turn out, the absence of game-changing mistakes and the 50-state effort should put to rest the idea that he is not ready to lead a nation. He already has.

Now if that nation is ready to be lead, to believe that we can once again be what our dreams tell us we can, and if Obama can do in office what he managed on the campaign trail, then I don't think we can be stopped. There was a lot of talk during the last few years about how every empire eventually falls and that our time seemed close, but I don't think we're ready for that just yet. I think we've got a little more of a run.

For such a relatively young nation, America often comes off as arrogant... arrogant beyond its years. But so do naive kids. The upside of this is that the same youthful naivete also makes youngsters quick learners and less resistant to change. Kids learn fast because they don't worry as much about embarrassing themselves. (and they'e not afraid of bumps and bruises) They can adapt more readily because they aren't trapped in ruts. I believe the results of this election prove our young nation has exhibited those positive youthful traits. I think we're ready. I think change is beginning. It'll be a little scary. It will take some work. It will probably involve a little arguing, but I think we're worth it. I also think what we can offer the rest of the world once we get back on track might erase some of the years it would otherwise take to fix our reputation outside our borders.

Dropping the old model will be tough for many. Creating a better replacement will be even tougher. But it's worth it.

I think it's an exciting time to be alive. Who's with me?

Luth,
Out

14 comments:

Bill said...

Right here with ya, Luth! I've always been proud of my country and what it stood for, even when folks on the other side of the political spectrum were eager to paint my position as anti-American. I couldn't be prouder, though, than I was last night and all day today. I am thrilled that my daughter's first recollection of a President of the United States will be a man named Barack Obama. That she will grow up thinking an African-American president is not such a big deal...well, I can barely express how glad that makes me feel.

We may well hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal...but it sure is nice to have someone come along and hold us to it now and then. And even better when we, as a nation, rise to the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Well Luth, I'm not about to rain on your parade today.

I liked some things you said in this post, how that W didn't screw up everything. I see his biggest failure as this war we're entangled in and I suspect you'd have a hard time disagreeing with that. If not for the war, our economy would be in better shape.

I also liked how you turned it around by saying the success of this nation will rest on the shoulders of the American people. I believe that is what you were saying.

And Bill, even though I have strongly disagreed with Luth, I hope you don't believe I've ever painted you guys as un-American. I have a lot of respect for Luth for his service to this country. One of the propositions we voted for in NY was a change in the state constitution making it easier for vets disabled in war to receive extra credit on civil service exams. My wife and voted in favor of that change. Those people deserve all the help they can get. Bill, I'll second your comments.

Luth said...

Wow! We're already coming together as the re-builders of this great republic!

Luth said...

Oops, I almost forgot this part: Bill, I often remind my wife that by being a working mom as long as they've been alive, in a profession she went to school to pursue, she has definitely removed from my daughters' comprehension the idea that a woman can't be a professional and a mom. (We were particularly amused at Palin's version of this) Add to that the interest they've had in this election, mostly due to school activities, and the results, and they too will never believe, like I did, that this just wasn't going to happen this year or even in my lifetime. It may be symbolic for many, but it's also very real and very cool on very many levels.

Now the work begins.

Luth said...

Oh yeah... one more, then I'll wait to hear from you two or I'll just shut up.

Go ahead and rain now, Ray. But remember, I went to work for W even if I wasn't pleased with the results of his elections. I taught in accordance with his NCLB, I did a few vacations in SW Asia, and I went shopping when he asked me to. I'll expect the same from the Red Right Repubs in the next few years... better start rallying your troops!

Bill said...

On the contrary, Ray, I've always found your exchanges to be thoughtful and gracious. I appreciate that. I've no doubt that the three of us want this country to be the best it can be. We might disagree about how to get there, but we have the same goal.

And I won't be giving the new guy a pass just because he plays for the blue team. Time to roll up the sleeves and make stuff happen.

Anonymous said...

OK, it's raining outside and my clean car got dirty so I guess I can rain on your parade today.

So, Obama's first big decision as president elect is to select a man as chief of staff who is characterized in the press as arrogant. Here is what my newspaper reported (BTW, our local paper is definitely not in the FOX news mold, if you know what I mean).

"In contrast to Obama's collegial style and that of his top campaign advisors, Emanuel is known as a foul-mouthed practitioner of brass-knuckled politics who relishes both conflict and publicity. He once mailed a dead fish to a political foe."

OK, throughout the campaign we heard "change, change, change, unity, unity, change, change, change, unity, unity. Bush had a thug in Cheney, Obama selects a thug. How is this a change and how will it bring unity? Help me out guys.

Oh, and thank you for the kind words Bill, I truly appreciate it.

Luth said...

You have a valid point, Ray, but let's play that analogy out a little further. The Cheney-Bush team were a capable, though evil, dictator and puppet. The puppet had little more successful leadership experience than Sarah Palin. One controlled the other (on most issues,) one was the public face.

While Rahm Emanuel may share some of Cheney's thug qualities, the comparison stops there. First of all, he'll be the Chief of Staff - managing day to day operations in the White House - NOT big picture policy maker like Cheney. Second, there is none and there will be no question who is in charge of this administration - the same guy who was in charge of the campaign, Barack Obama. No puppets or public faces here.

Given Obama's refusal to stoop to the arguments he was baited into over the last two years, Emanual is a probably a good partner to O's mild-mannered, overly corrected attempts to never be seen as "the angry black man."

Every organization needs its heavy, you're just not supposed to let the heavy make all the decisions. I don't think we can sum up the administration by this choice and I really don't think this choice is as bad as you suggest.

The selection does strike me as slightly contradictory to the "no-retreads" policy leaked out of the powwow on Wednesday or Thursday - had you mentioned that, I'd have simply rolled over and let you kick me!

I'm not sure "no retreads" a good or realistic policy though given the vast experience folks in this and previous administrations have to offer and I'm not convinced that was accepted policy and not just one guy's suggestion that one reporter happened to catch.

Sorry about your car... if it helps, the same thing happened to me on Sunday... right before I parked next to the dumpster I was shoveling plaster into (yeah, I'm an idiot) so the rain turned the dust into a nice cake shrouding what was a clean truck just hours before!

Anonymous said...

That was a quick answer. I did set you up a little by copying just one little paragraph. It was interesting that the tone of newspaper article was, "What the heck was he thinking?"

Actually, they gave a good answer too that makes sense. Obama truly wants to be more of a centrist and is afraid that some of the more radical Democratic elements may thwart his attempt at reinventing himself. So, he has enlisted Emanuel not to strong arm us footdragging, mouthbreathing conservatives, but to whip his liberal brothers and sisters into line. I actually buy that at this point.

Bill said...

Yeah, I agree with Ray. Rahm is likely there as much to prevent what happened to Carter (kneecapping from his own party in congress who wanted to bring home the big pork projects) as it is to ram through liberal policy.

Rahm, in his Clinton administration incarnation, was the model for the character of Josh on the West Wing, btw. The executive branch answer to a "whip." I guess now we'll see how he does as consigliere.

Bill said...

Happy Veteran's Day, Luth! (and thanks, on behalf of a grateful nation)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Luth. What Bill said.

Anonymous said...

That's it, I take back all the kind things I've said about Obama... he truly must be a Marxist after reading this.
http://www.stylelist.com/blog/2008/11/13/obama-supports-your-right-to-wear-saggy-pants-regime-change/?icid=200100397x1212995387x1200821433

He supports saggy pants!

Luth said...

I get enough junk mail already without visiting a site called "style list." I won't ask why you were there!! (ha ha)

Thanks for the VD wishes, boys. Back at ya - we all do our jobs for our country!