Monday, March 31, 2008

Three Freaking Years!?

I can't believe Blogspot hasn't kicked me off their servers by now.

Those who know me probably aren't surprised to know that I would gladly argue about anything for that long. Can you imagine what life would be like for my co-workers or my family if I didn't empty my spleen in this forum once in a while? Someone should do some research on the longevity of marriages where 'blogs are present. I suppose it's no more than a higher-tech diary, but there's got to be a research grant out there for some pot smoker to maintain his slacker/eternal student lifestyle by studying those effects. (I'm just trying to do my part to support academia)

I had the flu a few weeks ago and was stuck on the couch for four days. At the urging of my co-workers, I finally watched Saving Private Ryan during that spell. (yup, saw it for the first time last month) I gotta be honest here, I'm not a war movie fan, and this movie wasn't much more than a war movie... like a million others only with a bigger budget... to me. However, the character study made it better as did the fact that Cpt. Miller was an English teacher in his previous life.

I also looked back through this collection of three years of crap (Poup, technically). When I read the whining I included during my Iraq days and compared my job and circumstances there to Captain John Miller's experience in the movie, I felt like a real baby. I recently read the Bronze Star award citation that a family friend received in Vietnam and felt the same way. But as I read through Poup 2005, and 6 and 7, I was pleased to see a theme of hope (early on, anyway) and healthy doses of humor so as to not take myself too seriously, throughout. That helped a little. But what allows me to stand by what I wrote back then in my naive youth, was the real frustration at the meaninglessness of the war. That's what I whined about more than anything. And it isn't any less real regardless of the cozy comfort I was afforded in Iraq.

I can't help but think that I would have felt that frustration in Vietnam too. I'm sure many troops did. The fictional Captain Miller believed he was saving the world from the Nazis, and retaliating against the Japanese, so that probably helped him, but what was I doing? What were those guys in Vietnam doing? What has our 4000th OIF troop died for? That frustration was real regardless of the relative luxury I experienced in Iraq and since the questions still haven't been answered, I don't back away from anything I wrote then.

I was fortunate enough to never see actual combat. Bullets hit where I worked. Rockets landed weekly where I lived and worked, but I never went looking for it. In exchange for that relative safety, I had too much time to think about when that luck would run out and why we were all being subjected to this - especially those whose jobs took them out of the safety I had. I'm not saying active combat roles would be more fun (duh) I'm just saying it's probably a little easier to accept the propaganda... or even forget about the lack of an overall objective when your immediate objective is staying alive for another few mintues, and keeping your buddy alive while you're at it.

I hope no one ever interprets anything I've written here in a way that diminishes that individual mission (of staying alive) that combat troops in this or any previous war face(d). I hope I've made it clear that I truly believe the majority of troops on the ground do what they think is right whenever they can and I deeply respect the sacrifices those less fortunate than me have made. The vast majority of American troops are good people doing the best job they can under crappy circumstances, both physical and political and they deserve all the praise we can give them. I just wish we'd save that extreme commitment and willingness to sacrifice for a worthy cause. The safety of knowing that people like those I met in Iraq are on our side, defending our beliefs, is comforting. Knowing that if a real threat ever were leveled on this country those folks would stand between that threat and us, is a good feeling. If only we had the same level of effectiveness in identifying those threats.

Over the years I've also been encouraged by the ability of our nation's civilians to distinguish between the stupidity of this war and the obligation of its soldiers. Returning Vietnam vets deserved that and many didn't get it. In fact, given that today's force is entirely volunteer and many of the Vietnam troops were drafted, I think we kind of got it backward. But the point is, when troops enlist, they don't get the option of a signing statement. They don't get to pick one war to sit out. When their president calls them, they go. I've heard it said that were there a draft today, we might see the same reactions to the war that we saw during Vietnam. Perhaps that's true, but I'd like to think not. I won't waste much time on it cuz it's hard to compare when today's advice is to "go shopping."

When I went to OEF, I wasn't 100% sold, but I figured the rest would be explained to me and to the rest of the world later... on a need to know basis, that kind of thing. We'd shoved the Taliban back into Pakistan putting a serious dent in the future of Al Qaeda there (granted, we'd armed them a few years prior, but hey, how did we know they'd turn out to be such jerks.) We even curbed poppy production in Afghanistan, ensured their first free election in a long time, and were well on the way to handing the Afghanis their very own version of a democracy. Life was good. My involvement was mild, and I came home with a sense of having contributed to something.

Then we all but abandoned the Afghanis to invade Iraq. Between the bad intelligence, the brilliant exit strategy, the fact that we've pissed off and inspired more potential terrorists than we've killed, that my grandkids will pay for it, that we re-elected the genius who took us there AFTER we saw his plans unfold with our very eyes, and there are no signs of stopping it, well, you know the drill.

That still pisses me off. That frustration is still very real... for the 4000 of ours dead and for the 100,000 plus others and so I'll probably keep writing about it and lots of other things that piss me off. I hope I can keep writing about it until it stops.

I'm a pretty lucky guy. I get to write about the things that make me smile on occasion too and with my military retirement now counted down in months, there's a lot to smile about. Just imagine what kind of stuff I'll put here once I'm free of the bonds of the Uniform Code of Military Justice!!

Or when I find out my career field is under the stop-loss provision!

Anyhoo,
Thanks for sharing the ride with me. Make no mistake, I do this primarily for my own entertainment but, like sex, it's always more fun when others are involved!!
I look forward to further involvement.
Luth,
Out

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I just wish we'd save that extreme commitment and willingness to sacrifice for a worthy cause."

I agree with that 100%. In fact I think this was an excellent post.

But, your last paragraph scares me.

Hey, I was just visited Ohio last week, spent a couple days in Columbus.

Luth said...

Which one scares you more, the "arguing is like sex - more fun with others" or the "my mouth, free of the UCMJ restrictions?"

Anonymous said...

Luther
Just spent four class days watching Saving Private Ryan with my Freshman. I had not used the film in my WWII lesson for many years (probably in violation of some History Teacher Code of Conduct) and it was refreshing to learn that most of my students had never seen it. Additionally, with a purposeful nod to Capt. Miller, I used the film not just to discuss WWII but to engage my kids in some critical thinking and (more importantly) writing!
It worked out very well. My students generally hate to write - hell, they hate to read. But I got some good stuff and I think they even enjoyed it. I stopped the movie frequently to point out specific decisions that Captain Miller made and we discussed why he made them, what his other options were and how he might have chosen otherwise. The decision we discussed most deeply was the one where Captain Miller, against the pleading of his men, chose to take out a position that was defending a radar array (I think?). One of his men is killed, he chooses to blindfold the lone German survivor and send him marching off into the French countryside . . . great scene and worthy of much discussion. We talked about his decision to attack the position - it would have been so much easier to go around it. We talked about his decision to release the Kraut (are we still allowed to use that term?). I reminded my kids of what Captain Miller's objective was - and it wasn't necessarily to find Private Ryan.
You quote "The fictional Captain Miller believed he was saving the world from the Nazis, and retaliating against the Japanese, so that probably helped him . . ."
I don't think that is what John Miller was doing.
He states later in the movie, in a scene with Matt Damon, that he has an image in his mind of lying on his hammock, watching his wife trim the rose bushes - and if finding Ryan and bringing him out there alive gets him closer to reliving that moment, then that is what he will do.
So, at least for John Miller, it's all selfish. And I can agree with that without going down the Ayn Rand path. But I wonder what makes men and women want to go back. Why, after 15 (or is it 18 now) months in the shit (is that too Vietnam?) do guys want to go back? They do want to live another day and of course they want to protect their brothers. But why in hell do people want to go back to Iraq for a 3rd, or even 4th deployment?
And how? How do they leave their wives? How do they leave their kids?
I'll never understand it as long as I live.
Griff

Luth said...

Yeah, there's always that selfish element, and among most men, there's a testosterone influenced competitive push... gotta test myself... gotta try to achieve a make or break life moment rather than "just" living your life and making seemingly "small" decisions and moves.

I don't get the return part either, but apparently there are some folks who interpret what's happening over there different than you and I do.

Any rate, good to hear from you. My mail to you keeps getting rejected by your firewall so I gave up.

Luth said...

Hey, speaking of Ayn Rand...

You know, some guys go back over there because their enlistment isn't up and they, unlike the president who sent them there, actually fear being called a deserter more than they fear dying, or perhaps even see the value in honoring their commitment.

But enough about that. How's things?

Unknown said...

Nice...




Regards
Online and Offline projects