Monday, January 14, 2008

Colts, Titans get what they deserve

Before I even start, let me clarify that I'm among the many Browns fans who believe the Browns sealed their OWN fate this year by losing a winnable game to the Bengals. I do NOT believe the Colts owed them anything, nor am I bitter because the Colts kept the Browns out of the playoffs. The be clear, the Browns kept the Browns out of the playoffs and though the taste was on the tip of our tongues this year, I'll take a 10 and 6 season as a giant step in the right direction and wait happily for next season as I am so accustomed to doing as a fan of Cleveland sports all my life. The following rant has nothing to do with that.

Now it's time. Tennessee and Indy got exactly what they deserved this week. After all, they quit playing professional football THREE weeks ago! While the Giants and the Patriots left it all out on the field during their last regular season game, with absolutely NOTHNG to gain from it, the Colts and the Titans seemed to forget that they were millionaire professional athletes whose sole purpose on game day is to entertain fans. I don't know about you, but I rarely find watching towels being thrown in entertaining, although in this case, had the throwing of towels been literal perhaps it would have been more entertaining than the actual end of that game!

In the case of the Giants, their end of season effort clearly propelled them over Dallas last night. Coming off of a serious threat to topple the great Patriot dynasty, they pulled off a huge playoff win. The NY defense had no business holding Dallas to only 17 points and hanging the hopes for a playoff game on special teams and a hit or miss offense is not exactly a safe bet. But the Giants learned how important showing up for the end of season games can be. They came out ready, not as thoroughly rested as I'm guessing the Titans and the Colts hoped to be, and pulled it off. So Eli will be playing while Peyton watches... just like Peyton did for the second half of the last regular season game. Apparently he likes to watch. Good for him. He's got the entire off season to do it now. He, his teammates, and the Titans deserve it.

I had to get that out of my system.
Luth

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about them Giants now.... Can you say, SuperBowl? Eli has finally shown us why he deserves to wear the Giants uniform.

Luth said...

And did you hear the record of his QB rating over the course of his playoff career - superheros don't boast that kind of improvement. I think he might just be the real deal. It was tough for me to root against Brett Favre. Anybody who plays with that kind of love for the game... like a near 40 year old kid playing in the back yard... is going to be missed, but good ol' Eli is rapidly becoming fun to watch as well. I'd love to see the big surprise, but I'm afraid the Giants and the Packers were both just playing for the right to lose to the Pats. Either way, they'll be playing in a game my beloved Brownies have never seen. More power to 'em!
Now, about rational decisions...

SP said...

Someday soon you can write about our Brownies playing ofr a chabce to get to the superbowl. We have not been close since the mid 80s and our days at BG and LXA.
Keep up the great rants
Your LXA Big Bro
Steve

Luth said...

Some day, my friend, some day. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I ain't holdin' my breath. Keep an eye on those boys in the woods this weekend.