Friday, April 14, 2006

Sticking it to Big Oil

First let me say thanks for the encouragement from Bill and Ray. Bill wrote a post for me that covers at least 10 important topics. Ray welcomed me back to my own 'blog. Both were just what I needed to see after such a long absence. Both made me smile. So thanks, sincerely, to both of you.

Now, the reason I'm procrastinating the work I planned for this evening is this:

I got an email from a former student that laid out the latest plan to stick it to the oil companies. You've probably seen it. It criticizes that last version of those emails wherein consumers were encouraged to not buy gas for a day, then goes on to explain how brilliant this new plan is. The plan is to not buy gas from the two (now one) largest companies, Exxon and Mobil. The theory is that if these two (now one) experience a drop in sales, they will be forced to lower their prices. The goal, according to the email, is to show the oil companies that the buyer controls the market.

It's a great plan, and as it claims, simple... except for a few minor details, namely:

1. The bulk of what we pay at the pump is state and federal tax. That's not gonna change no matter who we buy from.

2. The feds have allowed the major US producers to pump oil from federal lands (that means land we all own) without royalties for years now... why would they do that? That's not real likely to change no matter who we buy from.

3. Those royalties didn't keep up with market values even before they were waived completely. Why would anyone do that? That's not likely to change.

4. We've ignored Jimmy Carter's warning about reliance on oil for 30 years. What could we possibly do now that would really suggest we'll do anything different?

5. The names on the mail list through which I received this message tend to align with supply-side theorists. This plan goes against their core values. If they act on those values (and I'm not holding my breath) they won't do it anyway.

But the real reason I'm writing this particular installment instead of reading this week's 400 pages, cleaning up the toilet paper in my trees that my students (or colleagues?) so graciously donated this evening, grading papers, or sleeping is because I have an even simpler plan for sticking it to the oil companies:

Don't put people in office whose campaigns were financed by them, whose families are beholden to them, whose shares in the industry skyrocket and who sit back and watch as the nation is held captive by them.

What could be simpler than that? As they say up north, "if it looks like an oil covered duck, smells like an oil covered duck, sounds like an oil covered duck, broke into business like an oil covered duck, got bailed out by the oil producing duck whose assets remain protected as long as the country we invaded doesn't produce oil, then it must be an oil covered duck."

After putting up only the obligatory, meaningless written opposition to continuing the aforementioned royalty relief to oil companies (they're only getting away with a few billion here and there) the Bush administration then turned around and threatened to veto a budget that actually taxed oil companies to the tune of $5 billion. After all, why should oil companies, who have experienced record profit, have to pay taxes just because the bottom 90% of Americans do?

When it comes to big oil and the Bush administration, US representative George Miller said it best when he referred to oil as "the gift that keeps on giving." He even referred to this sweet little royalty/tax avoidance deal as a "train robbery."

A free market would create better alternatives to oil before we run out. Unfortunately, the market isn't free. It's tipped toward big oil. Until alternatives become a higher priority than oil profit, nothing will change until we run out and then it will be too late.

12 comments:

Bill said...

The Bush presidency will be remembered in history as the first complete corporate incursion into the U.S. government.

This is what most people miss. Where Bush admin. critics see all kinds of conspiracy, ineptness, and even malfeasance. I see the cold and arational workings of a small group of guys who considered running the company a good way to make some money for themselves. Short term thinking? sure...you only have eight years, then this window closes.

You can only charge this administration with doing a bad job if you assume that they job they were doing was governing the country. That is, if you assume that underlying all other things, is a kind of altruism that at least runs to the good of the country. I didn't see it this in the beginning when I first read the Plan for a New American Century and it scared me. I don't see it now, and I simply cannot be shocked or surprised anymore by it.

The U.S. presidency was a good business proposition, pure and simple. All decisions made a few of those closest to the decision makers richer. And it screwed everybody else (that's business boys) including good-faith republicans, patriotic generals, and fiscal conservatives of all stripes. You lose too. That's business.

Oh, and Fox News - guess what, they don't care about ideology. They found a market niche that wasn't being filled in the news business and they are happily filling it. Come on, this is the same network that shows Morgan Spurlock on their FX affiliate (that litte station runs a bit young, left, and edgy...also a good demographic to target). And is the big ship FOX a bastion of morally upright programming? Nope.

It's just business.

Bill said...

ok, it's late and I can't go back and edit my post...so sorry for the typos

Anonymous said...

As Bill pointed out, that's just business, no screw up there. And if it were the business of running the country, that would be great, but when it's the business of lining one's pockets, country be damned, then it should piss everyone off no matter who they vote for.

Bush may be one of the first elected officials to so blatantly run this course, but Rockefeller brought it to us with his trademark product - oil! What a coincidence. Bush studied a hero of his, an oil man who actually made money doing it. Of course Rockefeller took advantage of a bunch of new laws that he paid for that pretty much ensured his monopoly. No wonder W couldn't successfully run an oil company these days. We're onto that trick. We learned that it's not good to do a 180 on big business regulations no matter how important that big business is to our economy. In other words, letting the free market prevail is a great idea... rather than giving all the advantages to the giants who finance campaigns. Do these crazy "free-market" republicans really think we can't see the slant on the playing field? If it were level, there would be alternatives to oil already. Same with cars... the auto industry wouldn't bother changing because of their tax incentives to stay the same. Worked wonders for them! Steel industry? Same deal. And now, finally, oil. The AZ Clean Feuls Co. is actually having difficulty finding investors for their new refinery. So in spite of the tilt toward oil, people with money (the free market) is finally acknowledging what we've known for decades - oil is no longer a good investment. Yet our country, due to a lack of leadership, has invested everything we have into it. Just when we're on the verge fo doing the right thing, it's gets a little expensive, the special interests offer up the cash, and boom, back to oil. That won't be an option for much longer.

So instead of buying politicians (which he couldn't do without Rockefeller like oil money that he could never make on his own) he decided to become one.

Bill said...

Ah yes, but driving the throughway is so much nicer than driving turnpikes and interstate highways in Ohio. ...though it sounds like you might have come via the Southern Tier, Ray?

We lived in NY for a while, but grew up in OH so we made that trip quite a lot.

Bill said...

My wife and I grew up in Springfield, OH on I-70 halfway between Columbus and Dayton. My first tenure-track position was at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. We loved the Capitol District - beautiful and lots of nice folks. We miss it very much. But I sure don't miss that drive through the I-90 snowbelt during the winter...that was always a crap shoot!

Luth said...

All right you two, break it up.

And while I have a minute here's a couple of points to ponder:

Honda has built the Accord, which gets 34 mpg on the highway according to the sticker, in Ohio for over 30 years now.

The Hondas I've owned have consistently averaged better mileage than their sticker says they will (which only applies here because I used their sticker estimate in the previous point)

A big chunk of my local economy is based on Honda of America's engine plant in Anna, OH and assembly plants in Marysville and East Liberty, OH.

Many of the American, hometown businesses, and several of the large American corporations in my area (including my wife's former employer) are here and thriving because of Honda's investment in the American auto industry.

Meanwhile, 30 miles down I-75, the city of Moraine is pondering what life will be like WHEN (not "if") their Delphi plant closes as a result of GM's decision to invest their billions in China, NOT America.

Buick is a great ride, no doubt, and if you like yours, more power to ya, but implying that driving one is somehow better for America than driving an American Honda is just plain foolishness these days. (I won't even get into reliability, dealer service, tax base, and the fact that none of us will ever see any benefit beyond customer satisfaction regardless of the nameplate on our car or where the owner of that nameplate lives)

(Sorry Ray, I just love opportunities to talk up those great Ohio products!)

Anonymous said...

You caught me. I'll take one of those S2000s as well. They're not the prettiest Honda but man are they zippy!

Diebold's dealings aren't the only Ohio-Republican connections I'm not proud of. We are a red state after all, but I like the fact that it always comes down to the wire here.

Anyhoo, I've got a draft of my paper done, a couple of good ideas for my presentation, and my lesson plans to finish out the year have been done since the quarter started. In a few weeks, I should be back in rare form as I ease into summer. Thanks for checking up on me.

Anonymous said...

It's too bad though, that Bush is apparently running his "business" the same way he ran his oil company and his baseball team.....like shit!!! Right into the ground!! God bless a broken F ing America!! Hey, where is the post about all of those retired generals speaking their minds now that they are out of service?

Anonymous said...

When that Honda is 20 years old, it will STILL get 35 mpg with 4 adults in it and luggage and pass by a boneyard full of old rusty, junk, BUICKS!!!!!! Sorry.

Anonymous said...

The last Civic I unloaded (with 250k on it) after driving it for 10 years, had only one dime-sized spot of rust on it. It lived in Ohio most of its life. I wish I had it back!

Don't mind that particular anon... he's a disgruntled former Ford mechanic.

Anonymous said...

I never minded throwing anything away after 20 years. They all rust the same pal. Don't try selling me that crap!!! I've lived here all my life ...they all rust the same. And if it was made by the "big 3", it will NEVER outlast the Japanese stuff. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to end my last "anon" reply with "....and if it was made by the big 3, it will NEVER outlast the Japanese stuff...GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!