Thursday, March 09, 2006

Burke's Perspective and Coming Soon out of The Heart of Darkness

James Lee Burke, gulf-cost native, old-timer, detective novelist and current part-time Louisiana resident / man of the world has this to say about presidents and hurricanes:

"When New Orleans was hit by a hurricane in '65, Lyndon Johnson walked into a shelter and said, 'The people of this country are behind you.' By God, he cared about people. How could the current administration not order troops, hospital personnel, trucks with water and food in to this city?"

I just ran across that in a magazine and thought it was interesting. Burke's got a little history in the area, and a little fame, a perspective you'd think we'd hear more of, but I never heard that little tale on the nightly news. The liberal media must not want us to hear stuff like that. All they want to tell us is how well everyone is recovering and how great Mardi Gras is this year. Yet when reporters actually take the time to talk to someone who is trying to rebuild, they tell of federal obstacles. Apparently the liberal media doesn't want us to hear too much of that either, 'cuz you sure don't see many of those stories on the nightly news anymore. Just smile and ignore it... it'll go away, at least at the polls.

Speaking of interesting perspectives, the House voted today to block the U.A.E. port security contract. U.A.E. Arabs are folks who have hosted thousands of U.S. troops since before OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM. We trust the U.A.E. enough to send young soldiers, sailors and airmen to live in their country, but not, apparently, enough to do business with them? I'm not quite sure I understand the House's perspective. Their vote says that U.A.E. Arabs aren't worth doing business with, but Iraqi Arabs are worth $370 billion and counting, over 2,300 troops' lives, and over 33,000 total lives? How do I make sense of that little paradox?

What's really weird is I've caught myself wondering lately, what if this whole mess works out in the end? Especially when the president endorsed the U.A.E deal. To me, that was the first sign that he actually bought into the crap he's spewed about partnership in the Middle East. It was the first move consistent with all the rhetoric that supposedly justifies this war. So then I think what if Bush's cowboy craziness actually does what previous presidents knew was necessary but believed impossible?

Then I watch the news.

Sure, only the "bad" stuff gets reported, but what's good about war? I know first hand that the majority of the bad stuff goes unreported as well. A death here, a permanent disability there aren't news anymore to anyone outside of that poor troop's family. That's happening every day and we don't hear about more than a tenth of it. Nor do we hear about the massive amounts of squandered resources, corruption, and cash being thrown away, projects 75% completed and then abandoned because some other commander has a different priority. We may not hear many victory stories from over there, but it's not the result of a conspiracy by the media. In my humble opinion, our media portrayal of the war in Iraq is more accurate than most of us would like to admit.

Tangentially speaking...
Talk about failing to learn from the lessons of history. I just finished re-reading Joseph Conrad's The Heart of Darkness. Check it out if you haven't. It's short. If you absolutely oppose books, watch the movie version, Apocalypse Now (which is not, by the way, an accurate or objective documentary about Vietnam). Both are stories about how one's values begin to erode when subjected to ambiguous and contradictory leadership that plops one into dangerous and unfamiliar environments. H of D could have been a diary of my experience in Iraq, but that's another post.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are they stories of one’s values eroding or evolving/adapting?

Tiffin

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, another perspective. You could certainly look at it that way, but in both cases, the literary emphasis is on the transition from certainty to doubt, from innocence to innocence lost. What's uncanny is how the stories and your observation point out that it's possible to have to adjust one's values based on the events that unfold around us. Logic and experience tell us this. The righteous right, however, tells us that this is weakness, lack of values, and "situational ethics."

Anonymous said...

Yes, Luth, the "literary emphasis" in the H of D could be described as innocence lost. However, Apocalypse Now, relates to the irony of one's values "eroding" in a questionable environment.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, the last post is mine. Tiffin

Anonymous said...

I figured that, but isn't that what I said?! If not, how?
OH, and FYI, the "comment deleted by the author" above was me... I don't censor this thing. For some reason, the comment just prior to it wouldn't post and then it posted twice, so I removed the second one.

Anonymous said...

I did delete one of mine, and my mom tells me one of hers didn't post, now you're telling me you deleted one of yours??? I wonder what other comments we might be missing here... maybe Mike Wallace, the President, Osama???

Anonymous said...

Oh how true. You, Ray, always manage to catch the things that, while ovbious as "givens" in my head, should be stated to the outside world so their lack of mention doesn't imply something else I never intended. I wish I could edit my own writing like that. Perhaps there's yet another purpose behind blogging! Now, how can I turn this into a lesson on editing and revision in my classroom?

Anonymous said...

What is very interesting is how my dept at work has poor or questionable leadership and I think my values are beginning to erode. As long as it stays at work, I guess I can live with that. I just hope it does not spill over in to my personal life.