Thursday, October 06, 2005

Relief in the form of a DD214

I recently received, by regular mail, my third copy of the Department of Defense Form 214 - Separation from Active Military Service. I received the first one upon completion of basic training and technical school back in 1987 (yeah, I'm old). The last two came as the result of my desert vacations. I'll always remember the form number because they pound it into your head throughout basic training. Any serviceman who ever completed basic training has been told at least 45 times (once per day) to keep a copy of it in safe deposit box because it is your record of discharge from the military.

What I discovered on this particular copy is that it also verifies every award I've ever received. The funny thing about these awards is, I didn't even know about a couple of them. I didn't put myself in for them and some of them were never formally presented to me so I never knew I had them. That's just how it works, the service branch keeps the record then sends you a copy when you separate. And all servicemembers are told to make sure they keep a copy just in case they'd ever have reason to prove they satisfactorily fulfilled their obligation. It was kind of cool seeing my time and my awards listed on this very important form that verified my service and that I knew to keep a copy of in a safe place.

So yeah, it's a pretty cool form. In a little over a year, I'll also receive my 20-year letter. This very important letter verifies that I have completed 20 years of qualifying service in the Air National Guard. This too, I've been told over and over, is a very important letter to keep in a safe place. I would guess that only an idiot would ever have any difficulty proving his or her service in the Air National Guard since the importance of all these forms and letters is just pounded into your head throughout your career. Anyone who doesn't have one, probably has a questionable service record. I think employers assume that you were discharged under other than honorable conditions if you list military service on your resume and can't produce one of these forms. In my experience, employers don't accept ID photos or, say dental records. They want to see the DD214 or your separation letter.

John Kerry has a DD214. I have a DD214. My little brother even has a copy of his from back in the early 90's and he only did a three year hitch!

Have a great weekend!
Luth

3 comments:

Bill said...

well...what are the awards? you're killin' us over here

Anonymous said...

I knew exactly where you were going with this one. How about W? Has his DD 214 shown up yet??

Anonymous said...

I've got a few of those awards too. And I've got a few of those DD214's as well. My first has a 1987 date as well - we're both old, thank god. At first I was thinking that you were done for good. But I guess you've got another year? You won't be reenlisting with the 200th? Just kidding. Being an officer, my "enlistment" is indefinate. I can pretty much stay or go as I see fit. I will hit 20 next year myself, but plan on staying a little longer. It's easy for me though, I don't go down range . . .
Peace brother,
Jag